The RYA Yachtmaster Coastal Course.
Previously known as ‘Coastal Skipper’ this 5 day course covers advanced skippering techniques for experienced people with good knowledge of navigation and sailing. Suggested prior experience level is 15 days sailing with 2 days as skipper, 300 logged miles with 8 night hours. The course teaches the skills necessary to skipper a cruising yacht on both coastal and offshore passages by day or night. It incorporates some longer passages of over 50 miles per day and a longer night sailing exercise.
The course (with 4 nights at anchor etc) content includes:-
- Passage planning, victualling, weather, tidal heights and rates
- Yacht and crew capability, preparation for sea, watch keeping
- Pilotage by day and night, clearing bearings, transits
- Ability to take charge and care of vessel and crew’s needs
- Confined space control under power, all berthing situations
- Confined space sailing, anchor and moor in variety of conditions
- Efficient sailing on all points of sail
- Prep for heavy weather sailing.
- Navigating in poor visibility
- MOB, helicopter/lifeboat rescue procedures, life raft usage..