VHF Radio. Short range certificate (SRC).
Short range certificate (SRC).
The Short Range Certificate (SRC) is required by law if you operate a VHF radio fitted with Digital Selective Calling (DSC) voluntarily on any British vessel.
It is vital the correct procedures are understood, incorrect usage could block out a mayday call.
This one day course is based upon continuous assessment followed by an examination.
The course subjects taught include:-
- The basics of radio operation.
- The correct frequencies/channels to be used.
- Distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures.
- Practice situations using simple voice and DSC methods.
- Digital selective Calling (DSC) using actual VHF training radios.
- Global Maritime and Distress Safety System (GMDSS).
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB).
- Search and Rescue transponders (SART).
A maximum of 8 students per course allows a 2 student to radio ratio.
The course broadly gives a 50/50 split of theory and hands on practice.