FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions)
Click on the question to reveal the answer.
- A -
Initially within the rivers Crouch and Roach, dependent on course or needs.
We have an excellent training/cruising area including the rivers:- Blackwater, Stour, Orwell, Deben, Ore-Alde, Medaway, Swale etc.
Passages may be anywhere from 10NM to over 1000NM
Adventure cruises have been as far afield as Portugal and the Orkney Islands.
This year 2017 will visit the Isles of Scilly on Defiant and Scotland on Hawkeye.
Always open to suggestions.
Q - What areas are sailed in?
- A - From none to experienced, all abilities will be assisted and all are welcome. Obviously dependent on competence levels will determine areas sailed. You will be encouraged to participate as much as possible, or if on a leisure trip and you want to ‘chill out’ none at all, sit and enjoy!
Q - What experience is needed?
- A - Many students will have some or all of the clothing necessary, others, especially beginners, may have little or none. Estuary Sailing provides fully automatic lifejackets complete with lights and harnesses. Protective wind and waterproof jacket and trouser (‘oilies’) are at hand to borrow if you need them. Non slip deck shoes are recommended but like boots are not supplied. Dependent on the weather and season, we will be happy to advise, please discuss before arrival.
Q - What clothing do I need to bring?
- A -
Hawkeye has ability to sleep up to 7 people, But there will usually be about 3 to 4 people aboard. The fore-cabin sleeps 2 (either singles or a couple), The main saloon has a double berth plus a single berth.
Defiant can sleep up to 6 people. But usually only 3. Double or two singles in fore-cabin. Double in saloon. Two singles in wheel house.
Both boats have toilet, wash and shower facilities with hot water.
It has to be remembered that boats are not hotels, they are much more fun!
Q - What privacy aboard is there for sleeping etc?
- A - All costs aboard boat are inclusive of food and drinks on board, fuel and any marina berthing charges. Please bring your own sleeping bag/duvet.
Q - What is included?
- A -
There are no hard and fast dates, courses and trips will be arranged to flexibly satisfy demand.
This year for 2017 any course will be run any time with a minimum of two students.
2 people or more wishing to do a course can simply choose their preferred dates, let me know and book it up-simple!
Only courses being run/booked are on the 'dates' section. You can choose any other date/s.
Q - When are courses/trips arranged?
- A - Please phone, e-mail, text, write or pop in to discuss your needs further, you are most welcome.
Q - Any more questions?
- A -
As soon as a course/date etc has been agreed this will initially be reserved for you.
Then down load a booking form and send it to Estuary Sailing with either a deposit or full payment.
This will then confirm and secure your booking.
Q - How do I book up a course.
- A -
I will run any course anytime throughout the year with a minimum of two students.
Any dates already booked up should show on the 'Course dates' section.
Any other dates you can assume are free. If two or more people are booking together simply
choose your preferred dates, let me know and we'll book it up-simple.
Individuals wishing to book a course can also choose this option, choose your date, let me know, and we'll book it in.
Your chosen course/date will then go ahead-subject to getting another booking. Deposit only required until the course
is definitely on and confirmed.
New for 2017 are fixed discounts. 2 people booking together less 5%, 3 together 10%, 4 or more 15%
One to one training is an option but at a cost tba.
Q - How do I choose a course date?
- A -
Shore based revision etc can be done from 4 hours or more.
ICC assessments generally take 4-5 hours.
Any specific training issue can be covered.
4 hours minimum on any boat.
Charter for 1 day? no problem-birthday treats, wildlife and seal viewing trips,
one off practice sessions-no problem.
Q - Do you do short training sessions.
- A -
The system changed this year (as of February 2018).
Contact Estuary Sailing to agree a suitable date for your course.
You'll then need to go on to the Rya website @ www.rya.org.uk/go/src and pay for the exam.
The Rya will then send you an exam application form, unique number and barcode (This can be used at any training centre).
Send your address details when booking/completing the booking form so we can send the prior reading course book to you.
Bring the form the Rya sent you with a recent passport photo with you on the day of the course.
Q - How do I get a VHF radio licence