The RYA Day Skipper shorebased course.
‘A comprehensive introduction to cruising for inexperienced skippers’
This 40 hour course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around familiar waters by day. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to introduce you to night cruising.
Course topics include:-
- The basics of seamanship.
- The essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage.
- Electronic charts.
- Position fixing.
- Course to steer allowing for tide and other influences.
- Weather forecasting and meteorology.
- Collision regulations.
- Construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat.
- Emergency and safety procedures including distress calls, use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and life rafts.