The RYA Day Skipper (motor) course.
This 4 day practical course aims to cover pilotage, navigation, seamanship and boat handling skills to a standard needed to skipper a motor cruiser safely by day in waters familiar to the student.
Staying aboard for 3 nights at anchor, in a marina or harbour allows decent passages to be made. Unlike some schools we don’t day sail in the same place for the 4 days. The student should be up to RYA Day Skipper theory level, ideally with 2 days previous experience.
A summary of the syllabus is detailed below:-
- Preparation for sea
- Boat handling at sea and in confined spaces
- Berthing and leaving a berth Picking up moorings
- Navigation, course to steer, estimated positions
- IALA buoyage
- Rules of the road-collision regulations (IRPCS)
- Night cruising experience
- Emergency situations